[Numpy-discussion] Can we freeze the subversion repository and move to github this week?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Mon Sep 13 20:43:02 EDT 2010

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:15:01 -0600, Charles R Harris wrote:
[clip]
> I think we should freeze the svn repo as soon as possible. Pierre is
> still making commits there and unless there is an easy way to update the
> git repo from svn those sort of commits might be a small hassle.

It needs re-generation of the whole repo which is a bit slow, but it's
reproducible and ends up with the same hashes, so in principle we can
update later on.

> So, I suggest a short post to the list announcing a svn freeze.
> How does trac integrate with the new repo?

It doesn't at the moment. There are some plugins, though:

http://github.com/davglass/github-trac/
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/GitPlugin/

However, I'm not sure if we really need anything else than a way to link
to commits in bug reports (which can be done by pasting URLs anyway). I'd
prefer to keep maintenance overhead low, and just use Github's source
browser and timeline utilities.

> Will the mailing lists still work?

Yes, Github can AFAIK be configured to send emails to a given address.
However, I guess the Numpy list must be configured to accept mails from
Github.

	Pauli