[Numpy-discussion] Can we freeze the subversion repository and move to github this week?

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:10:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:33:11 -0500, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>> > Are we ready to do this yet?
>> >
>> > I know there were some outstanding questions. Are there major concerns
>> > remaining?
>>
>> As far as the conversion is concerned, things should be OK.
>>
>> The bugs in svn-all-fast-export have been fixed in the meantime, and we
>> have scripts for comparing checksums for each revision. It's hardly
>> possible to lose anything.
>>
>> > Or, is it just picking a time to freeze subversion when
>> > someone like David or Pauli who know how to move the repository to
>> > github correctly a time to do it.
>>
>> I can upload a "final" repository today/tomorrow. If it seems OK, we can
>> freeze SVN trunk a few days after that.
>>
>> Or we can freeze the trunk sooner than that after the "final" repo is up,
>> and patch up things manually, if something turns up (unlikely).
>>

> I think we should freeze the svn repo as soon as possible. Pierre is still
> making commits there and unless there is an easy way to update the git repo
> from svn those sort of commits might be a small hassle.
>
> So, I suggest a short post to the list announcing a svn freeze. How does
> trac integrate with the new repo? Will the mailing lists still work?
>
> Chuck

Can you also update the web site (front page and Developer Zone
http://www.scipy.org/Developer_Zone ) with the new information? At
least highlight that the git is now being used as presumably the svn
version will no longer be maintained.

It would also be nice for this information to included as a main point
in the forthcoming release.

Bruce