[Numpy-discussion] Viewer for 2D Numpy arrays (GUI)

Joe Harrington jh at physics.ucf.edu
Fri Sep 17 09:41:43 EDT 2010

There is a stand-alone program in wide use by astronomers that does 2D
floating-point image display called ds9.  It has a 2-way numpy
interface and a rich set of image viewing/annotating features,
including interactive colormapping, zoom/pan of very large images,
n-up displays, movies, live row and column plots, etc.  See

http://hea-www.harvard.edu/RD/ds9/

There is also the lighter, native-Python ntv routine, which uses
matplotlib:

http://planets.ucf.edu/resources/open-source-software/
http://code.google.com/p/ntv/

This is a new package that can display 2D floating-point arrays as
images and do some astro-specific stuff like point-source centering
and extraction (aka photometry) from images.  The author, Nate Lust,
is eager for contributions, such as help in adding features and
improving the web pages for it.  It would probably be straightforward
to add a table-viewing/editing feature to this, such that you would
click in an image and get a spreadsheet-like interface centered where
you clicked.

--jh--