[Numpy-discussion] indexed arrays ignoring duplicates

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:28:10 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:00, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:15:08 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
> [clip: inplace addition with duplicates]
>> Use numpy.bincount() instead.
>
> It might be worthwhile to add a separate helper function for this
> purpose. Bincount makes a copy that could be avoided, and it is difficult
> to find if you don't know about this trick.

I'm fairly certain that most of the arrays used are fairly small, as
such things are reckoned. I'm not sure that in-place modification
would win us much. And I'm not sure what other name for the function
would make it easier to find. AFAICT, using bincount() this way is not
really a "trick"; it's just the right way to do exactly this job. If
anything, "x.fill(0);x[i] += 1" is the "trick".

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco