[Numpy-discussion] Uninstallation of 1.6.0b2 leaves files behind with Python3.x under windows 7

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 9 17:52:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:33 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>  I tend to get files left behind for 32-bit versions of Python 3.1 and
>> Python3.2 usually after I have ran the tests and then immediately try
>> to uninstall it using the Windows uninstaller via control panel.
>>
>> With  Python 3.1 files are left behind have the '.pyd' suffix:
>> C:\Python31\Lib\site-packages\numpy\linalg\lapack_lite.pyd
>> C:\Python31\Lib\site-packages\numpy\fft\fftpack_lite.pyd
>>
>> With Python 3.2, most are in the  __pycache__ directories. I do not
>> see these  __pycache__ directories with Python3.1 binary installer.
>
> __pycache__ is a feature added in python 3.2 to my knowledge:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3147

This looks like a bug in distribute. I find the same .pyc files right
beside the source .py files as in __pycache__/filename.cpython-32.pyc.
I'm guessing the former are created during the byte-compiling step at
install time while the latter are created on the first import. Only
the latter should be present according to PEP 3147.

>> Also can people with Windows check that ticket 144 (Uninstall in
>> Windows does not remove some directories) is still valid?
>> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1466

The numpy NSIS script does not contain any uninstall info. The default
uninstall mode seems to be to create a log of files that was
installed, and deleting those when the uninstaller is run. This causes
the above __pycache__ issue as well as #1466 (the user ran coverage.py
it seems, has left-over .cover files that are not cleaned up). I don't
have a Windows machine to test, but #1466 must still be valid.

The alternative would be to tell the uninstaller to delete the
complete site-packages/numpy/ dir no matter what's in it. That's
probably the right way to do it.

Ralf