[Numpy-discussion] Odd numerical difference between Numpy 1.5.1 and Numpy > 1.5.1

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:20:56 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 23:43, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com
> >
> > wrote:
>
> >> It would be good to see a simple test case and understand why the
> boolean
> >> multiplied by the scalar double is becoming a float16.     In other
> words,
> >>  why does
> >> (1-test)*t
> >> return a float16 array
> >> This does not sound right at all and it would be good to understand why
> >> this occurs, now.   How are you handling scalars multiplied by arrays in
> >> general?
> >
> > The reason it's float16 is that the first function in the multiply
> function
> > list for which both types can be safely cast to the output type,
>
> Except that float64 cannot be safely cast to float16.

That's true, but it was already being done this way with respect to float32.
Rereading the documentation for min_scalar_type, I see the explanation could
elaborate on the purpose of the function further. Float64 cannot be safely
cast to float32, but this is what NumPy does:

>>> import numpy as np
>>> np.__version__
'1.4.1'
>>> np.float64(3.5) * np.ones(2,dtype=np.float32)
array([ 3.5,  3.5], dtype=float32)

> after
> > applying the min_scalar_type function to the scalars, is float16.
>
> This is implemented incorrectly, then. It makes no sense for floats,
> for which the limiting attribute is precision, not range. For floats,
> the result of min_scalar_type should be the type of the object itself,
> nothing else. E.g. min_scalar_type(x)==float64 if type(x) is float no
> matter what value it has.

I believe this behavior is necessary to avoid undesirable promotion of
arrays to float64. If you are working with extremely large float32 arrays,
and multiply or add a Python float, you would always have to say
np.float32(value), something rather tedious. Looking at the archives, I see
you've explained this before. ;)

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-April/027079.html

The re-implementation of type casting, other than for the case at hand which
I consider to be a wrong behavior, follows the existing pattern as closely
as I could understand it from the previous implementation. I tightened the
rules just slightly to avoid some problematic downcasts which previously
were occurring:

>>> np.__version__
'1.4.1'
>>> 100000*np.ones(2,dtype=np.int8)
array([-31072, -31072], dtype=int16)
>>> 1e60*np.ones(2,dtype=np.float32)
array([ Inf,  Inf], dtype=float32)

>>> np.__version__
'2.0.0.dev-4cb2eb4'
>>> 100000*np.ones(2,dtype=np.int8)
array([100000, 100000], dtype=int32)
>>> 1e60*np.ones(2,dtype=np.float32)
array([  1.00000000e+60,   1.00000000e+60])

-Mark