[Numpy-discussion] Zero row in SVD's unitary matrix on some Mac's

Rob Beezer beezer at ups.edu
Mon Apr 25 13:16:13 EDT 2011

I am working to make many of NumPy's matrix decomposition routines available in
Sage.  As part of testing a new routine, we have found some odd behavior with
the singular value decomposition.

On certain Mac's, the numpy built in Sage will return the second of the unitary
matrices with a row of all zeros, so of course, it can't be unitary.  For the
configurations in question, this erroneous output happens only for certain sized
matrices and for those sizes it always occurs.  The smallest sizes are 3 x 4, 4
x 5, 5 x 6, 5 x 7, 6 x 7, 6 x 8, 6 x 9, 7 x 8, 7 x 9, 8 x 9.  The fault is not
in Sage code per se, as it can be reproduced by running Sage's python and using
numpy directly.  It could be possible Sage is not building numpy correctly, we
have not tested a standalone version of numpy since this problem seems to be
limited to very few configurations.

The initial report, and a confirmation, are both on Macs where Sage is built
using gcc 4.0.1 and gcc 4.2.1.  The test that uncovered this situation was
introduced two alpha releases back, and has not failed for testers on Linux or
newer Macs.  The svd routine itself has been in Sage for about three years
without exhibiting any problems, but maybe the cases above were not tested.  I
do not own a Mac, so testing out scenarios involves sending suggestions to the
two folks who have reported failures.

Many more details and complete transcripts are at:

Any thoughts or advice to help us understand this would be greatly appreciated.
  Thanks in advance.

Rob
--
Robert A. Beezer