[Numpy-discussion] Returning ndimage subclass instances from scipy methods?

Keith Hughitt keith.hughitt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 08:59:57 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have SciPy methods which work
on/return ndarray instances return subclass instances instead?

For example, I can pass in an instance of a ndarray subclass to methods in
scipy.ndimage, but a normal ndarray is returned instead of a new subclass
instance. Wrapping the result in __array_wrap__ and __array_finalize__ has
not seemed to help. I also tried asking on the scipy-users
list<http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2011-August/030179.html>,
but so far have not gotten any response.

Any suggestions?
Keith