[Numpy-discussion] NA mask C-API documentation

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:58:42 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Christopher Jordan-Squire <cjordan1 at uw.edu
> wrote:

> Regarding ufuncs and NA's, all the mechanics of handling NA from a
> ufunc are in the PyUFunc_FromFuncAndData function, right? So the ufunc
> creation docs don't have to be updated to include NA's?

That's correct, any ufunc will automatically support NAs with a propagation
approach. It's probably worth mentioning this in the ufunc docs.

I've added some additional type resolution and loop selection functions, but
I'd rather keep them private in NumPy for a version or two so improvements
can be made as experience is gained with them. Unfortunately some aspects of
this are in public headers because of how the API is designed, ideally more
of the classes struct layouts should be hidden from the ABI just as I've
done in deprecating that access for PyArrayObject.

-Mark