[Numpy-discussion] the build and installation process

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 26 17:52:52 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM, srean <srean.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I would like to know a bit about how the installation process works. Could
> you point me to a resource. In particular I want to know how the site.cfg
> configuration works. Is it numpy/scipy specific or is it standard with
> distutils. I googled for site.cfg and distutils but did not find any
> authoritative document.

There is not much more than what's described in the site.cfg.example file
that's in the numpy source tree root dir. As far as I know the site.cfg name
is numpy specific, but python distutils uses a distutils.cfg file in the
same format.

> I believe many new users trip up on the installation process, especially in
> trying to substitute their favourite library in place os the standard. So a
> canonical document explaining the process will be very helpful.
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/install.html

The most up-to-date descriptions for each OS can be found at
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy

> does cover some of the important points but its a bit sketchy, and has a
> "this is all that you need to know" flavor. Doesnt quite enable the reader
> to fix his own problems. So a resource that is somewhere in between reading
> up all the sources that get invoked during the installation and building,
> and the current install document will be very welcome.
>
> English is not my native language, but if there is anyway I can help, I
> would do so gladly.

If the above docs don't help as much as you'd want, please point out the
most problematic points. The install instructions are a wiki so you can make
changes yourself. Especially about things like linking to specific versions
of MKL there's not enough or outdated info, any contributions there will be
very useful.

Cheers,
Ralf