[Numpy-discussion] numpy 1.7.0 release

Tim Burgess Tim.Burgess at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 5 16:42:01 EST 2011

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea.   Is there resolution to the NA question?
>>>

>> No, people still disagree and are likely to do so for years to come with
>> no end in sight. That's why the preview label.
>>
>> Agreed that it's not resolved, but I think we at least got to the point
> where we agreed not to back out the complete missing data additions. So if
> we clearly say that we keep all options for future API changes open
> (=preview label), I don't think that the issue should hold up a numpy
> release indefinitely.
>
> Ralf

I think a release is a good idea. In addition to the previous points mentioned,
having NA in as a preview in a 1.7.0 release will likely raise it's visibility
- a lot of people will read release notes of a newer version but won't ever
track discussions in a mailing list.

Tim Burgess

Software Engineer - Coral Reef Watch
Satellite Applications and Research - NESDIS