[Numpy-discussion] numpy 1.7.0 release?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:11:29 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been a little over 6 months since the release of 1.6.0 and the NA
> debate has quieted down, so I'd like to ask your opinion on the timing of
> 1.7.0. It looks to me like we have a healthy amount of bug fixes and small
> improvements, plus three larger chucks of work:
>
> - datetime
> - NA
> - Bento support
>
> My impression is that both datetime and NA are releasable, but should be
> labeled "tech preview" or something similar, because they may still see
> significant changes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> There's still some maintenance work to do and pull requests to merge, but
> a beta release by Christmas should be feasible.

To be a bit more detailed here, these are the most significant pull
requests / patches that I think can be merged with a limited amount of work:
meshgrid enhancements: http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/966
sample_from function: https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/151
loadtable function: https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/143

Other maintenance things:
- un-deprecate putmask
- clean up causes of "DType strings 'O4' and 'O8' are deprecated..."
- fix failing einsum and polyfit tests
- update release notes

Cheers,
Ralf