[Numpy-discussion] numpy 1.7.0 release?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 20:40:39 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been a little over 6 months since the release of 1.6.0 and the NA
> debate has quieted down, so I'd like to ask your opinion on the timing of
> 1.7.0. It looks to me like we have a healthy amount of bug fixes and small
> improvements, plus three larger chucks of work:
>
> - datetime
> - NA
> - Bento support
>
> My impression is that both datetime and NA are releasable, but should be
> labeled "tech preview" or something similar, because they may still see
> significant changes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> There's still some maintenance work to do and pull requests to merge, but
> a beta release by Christmas should be feasible. What do you all think?

Sounds reasonable. I'd also like to add some features to the polynomial
modules.

   1. Improved zero finding with Gaussian quadrature. With the improved
   zeros and using an expression for Gaussian weights things work well up to
   degree 100.
   2. Small change to the evaluation functions adding a "tensor" keyword
   and allowing arrays of coefficients. This change allows easy evaluation of
   tensor products of the polynomials, either on a grid or on a set of points,
   which is handy for working in two or three dimensions.

I think the recent fixes for user types should also go in, but I'd like
Mark to review them first. The R like sampling function could also go in, I
just had a question about the name 'choice', but if that is an R compatible
name I'm OK with it. In fact, I think many of the current pull requests
could go in with the addition of a few tests in some cases. I'll fix the
ma.polyfit function test sometime this week. Maybe we should have a weekend
devoted to getting the current request in.

Chuck