[Numpy-discussion] Slow Numpy/MKL vs Matlab/MKL

Derek Homeier derek at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Wed Dec 7 16:50:17 EST 2011

On 07.12.2011, at 9:38PM, Oleg Mikulya wrote:

> Agree with your statement. Yes, it is MKL, indeed. For linear equations it is no difference, but there is difference for other functions. And yes, my suspicions is just threading options. How to pass them to MKL from python? Should I change some compiling options or environment options?

You could check by monitoring the CPU usage while running the tasks - if it remains
around 100% it is rather not using multiple threads. Generally MKL (if you linked the
multi-threaded version, which seems to be the case, as mkl_intel_thread is in the libs)
heeds the OMP_NUM_THREADS environment variable like other OpenMP programs.
If that's set to your no. of cores before starting Python, it should be inherited; might also
be possible to set it within Python (in any case you can check it with os.getenv()).
I don't know if matlab sets different defaults so multiple threads are automatically used;
normally I'd also expect Python to use all available cores if OMP_NUM_THREADS
is not set at all…

Cheers,
						Derek