[Numpy-discussion] Fast Reading of ASCII files

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 14 02:03:24 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> genfromtxt sure looks close for an API
>>

> This I don't agree with. It has a huge amount of keywords that just
> confuse or intimidate a beginning user. There should be a dead simple
> interface, even the loadtxt API is on the heavy side.

well, yes, though it does do a lot -- do you have a smpler one in mind?

But anyway, the really simple cases, are reallly simle, even with
genfromtxt.

I guess it's a matter of debate about what is a better API:

a few functions, each adding a layer of sophistication

or

one function, with layers of sophistication added with an array of keyword
arguments.

In either case, though I wish the multiple functionality built on the same,
well optimized core code.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov