[Numpy-discussion] Would it be possible to enhance np.unique(.) with a keyword kind

eat e.antero.tammi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:27:19 EST 2011

Hi,

Especially when the keyword return_index of np.unique(.) is specified to be
True, would it in general also be reasonable to be able to specify the
sorting algorithm of the underlying np.argsort(.)?

The rationale is that (for at least some of my cases) higher level
algorithms seems to be too over complicated unless I'm not able to request
a stable sorting order from np.unique(.) (like np.unique(., return_index=
True, kind= 'mergesort').

(FWIW, I apparently do have a working local hack for this kind of
functionality, but without extensive testing of 'all' corner cases).

Thanks,
eat