[Numpy-discussion] import_array weird behavior

Marc POINOT Marc.Poinot at onera.fr
Tue Dec 20 05:31:52 EST 2011

Hi all,

I've just changed to cython and old numpy module with a raw C API.
The C module init is removed, and I've put the import_array in the 'pure-cython'
part of the module init. Usual tutorial examples have these lines:

import  numpy as NPY
cimport numpy as NPY

NPY.import_array()

But this fails (first numpy API call core dump) in my module, if I put back the
import_array() in the C part of the module everything turns ok again.
Now if I remove again this C API import_array and I write:

import  numpy as NPY
cimport numpy as CNPY

CNPY.import_array()

all is ok.
Do I miss something? It sounds good to me to have to separate scopes but
I wonder if it's a common practice with potential side-effects or if it is
the right way to use numpy with cython. And then, what about my core dump?

cython 1.15.1
python 2.7.2
numpy  1.6.1
scons  2.1.0