[Numpy-discussion] How's our broadcasting?

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso jordigh at octave.org
Wed Dec 28 14:44:01 EST 2011

On 28 December 2011 13:41, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2011/12/28 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh at octave.org>
>>
>> Just FYI, the next stable release of Octave (3.6) will have
>> broadcasting. I used Numpy as an inspiration.
>>
>> Here is the WIP manual for it:
>>

>>  http://jordi.platinum.linux.pl/octave.html/Broadcasting.html#Broadcasting
>
> Is this a departure of maintaining full compatibility with Matlab?

No, Matlab code will still work in Octave, except in very rare cases,
but it's a matter of flipping a switch to make those weird cases work
as well.

Octave isn't a Matlab clone. The goal is to be source compatible to
Matlab: code that runs in Matlab should run in Octave, but we don't
try to limit ourselves to whatever Matlab does, nor do we copy every
bug unless there's a very good reason to copy its bugs.

I think I may be missing a few broadcasting behaviours regarding
assignment. Is something like that possible, to broadcast a vector
across a matrix during assignment?

- Jordi G. H.