[Numpy-discussion] Numpy performance testing

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 31 05:55:01 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 5:45 AM, <jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:

> On 12/29/11 10:37 PM, Jaidev Deshpande wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> >> Along with test coverage, have any of you considered any systematic
> >> monitoring of NumPy performance?
> >
> > I'm mildly obsessed with performance and benchmarking of NumPy. I used
> > to use a lot of MATLAB until a year back and I tend to compare Python
> > performance with it all the time. I generally don't feel happy until
> > I'm convinced that I've extracted the last bit of speed out of my
> > Python code.
> >
> > I think the generalization of this idea is more or less equivalent to
> > performance benchmarking. Of course, I know there's a lot more than
> > 'MATLAB vs Python' to it. I'd be more than happy to be involved. GSoC
> > or otherwise.
> >
> > Where do I start?
>
> We've recently had a discussion about more intelligent timeit commands
> and timing objects in Python/Sage.  People here might find the
> discussion interesting, and it might also be interesting to collaborate
> on code.  The basic idea was a much smarter timeit command that uses
> more intelligent statistics and presents a much more comprehensive look
> at the timing information.
>
> Here is the discussion:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-devel/8lq3twm9Olc
>
> Here is our ticket tracking the issue:
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12168
>
> Here are some examples of the analysis: http://sagenb.org/home/pub/3857/
>
> Nice. It would be cool to have this available as a separate ipython magic
command. For performance monitoring it's probably unnecessary, regular
%timeit should be OK for that.

Performance monitoring does require quite a bit of infrastructure (like
Wes' vbench project) though, which could be a good (GSOC) project. There's
other VCS's to support, maybe a buildbot plugin, many options there.

Ralf