[Numpy-discussion] Please keep Numpy master working on Py3

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 00:57:29 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM, David <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:

> <snip>
>

> In the meantime, I put the relevant header in numpy/core/src/private, to
> > make the dependency clearer.
>
> Following that argument, there are other unwanted dependencies between
> multiarray and ufunc, causing circular dependencies. I don't think they
> were there before, and it makes building numpy with a dependency-based
> tool like scons or waf extremely difficult.

This particular separation of two components felt somewhat artificial to me.
 For the iterator buffering, as an example, I initially thought it would be
good to use the same default as the ufuncs do.  Instead I ended up just
using a hard-coded default.  I think the error handling policy in the ufuncs
could also be useful for computations in the core.  This can't be changed
while maintaining ABI compatibility, though.

-Mark