[Numpy-discussion] Please keep Numpy master working on Py3

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Wed Feb 2 01:09:35 EST 2011

On 02/02/2011 02:57 PM, Mark Wiebe wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM, David <david at silveregg.co.jp
> <mailto:david at silveregg.co.jp>> wrote:
>
>     <snip>
>

>      > In the meantime, I put the relevant header in
>     numpy/core/src/private, to
>      > make the dependency clearer.
>
>     Following that argument, there are other unwanted dependencies between
>     multiarray and ufunc, causing circular dependencies. I don't think they
>     were there before, and it makes building numpy with a dependency-based
>     tool like scons or waf extremely difficult.
>

> This particular separation of two components felt somewhat artificial to
> me.  For the iterator buffering, as an example, I initially thought it
> would be good to use the same default as the ufuncs do.  Instead I ended
> up just using a hard-coded default.

Not sure I understand the exact argument, but if it is just a matter of
getting default values, it is easy to share them using a common header.

> I think the error handling policy
> in the ufuncs could also be useful for computations in the core.

At the moment, ufunc and multiarray are separate extensions. If each
depends on the other API-wise, it is an issue. If there are some
commonalities, then they can be put in a separate extensions. They are
already way too big as they are (historical reasons), we should really
fight this for maintanability.

I realize the code organization and the build stuff is a bit of a mess
at the moment, so if you have questions on that aspect, feel free to ask
clarification or help,

cheers,

David