[Numpy-discussion] FYI: experimental waf support for numpy

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Thu Feb 10 03:03:23 EST 2011

On 02/10/2011 04:45 PM, Sebastien Binet wrote:
> David,
>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:30:37 +0900, David<david at silveregg.co.jp>  wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Following recent release of waf 1.6 and its adoption by the samba
>> project, as well as my own work on integrating waf and bento, I have
>> spent some time to build numpy with it. Although this is experimental,
>> it should be possible for people to play with it:
>>
>> https://github.com/cournape/numpy/tree/waf_build
>
> great news !
>

>> You need a recent waf checkout (trunk), and you build numpy as follows:
>>
>> $waf_checkout/waf-light configure
>> $waf_checkout/waf-light build
> why don't you just put the waf executable within the numpy repository ?

Because it is still experimental, and there are some issues in waf
around tools on windows, etc... meaning I will have to follow trunk
pretty closely after those bugs are fixed.

This is also not intended to be merged. The goal really is to discover
as many issues as possible before I decide to use waf exclusively as the
build "backend" in bento instead of my own (if you are interested, there
is already a proof of concept of building simple extensions with waf
inside bento in bento repo:
https://github.com/cournape/Bento/tree/master/examples/hooks/waf/waf16)

cheers,

David