[Numpy-discussion] numpy docs dependency problem in Ubuntu

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Fri Feb 11 12:50:49 EST 2011

Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:34:16 -0600, Bruce Southey wrote:
[clip]
> I agree with Pauli, if Ubuntu wants the user to be able build the
> documentation then Ubuntu would have to create a special package with
> just the numpy documentation that includes the necessary dependencies
> (including numpy, matlibplot and sphinx).

The point is that the Ubuntu build servers cannot build the
documentation, because matplotlib is not available at build time. (First,
because matplotlib depends circularly on Numpy, and second, since by
policy Numpy build cannot depend on matplotlib as Numpy is in "main" and
matplotlib in "universe".)

I don't see other solutions apart from creating a separate source package
from the contents of numpy/doc/*. However, I don't see very many reasons
why we (as the Numpy upstream) should make this split, and why the
Debian/Ubuntu packagers could not do it.

--
Pauli Virtanen