[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.5.1 - Mac - with Activestate Python 3

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridhar.ratna at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:49:13 EST 2011

Hi,

Just wanted to respond to
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/42084

*CORTESI: I have installed ActiveState's Python 3 packages on Mac OS X
10.6.6. [...] What can I do to persuade numpy to install? Must I build it
from sourceto get it to use Python 3?

RALF: [...] there is no [NumPy] binary for Python 3 at the moment. But
unless you have a specific need/desire to use 3.1/3.2 I'd suggest staying
with 2.6 or 2.7 from python.org for now. With Activestate you have to
compile yourself or use their (paid?) pypm repo.*

NumPy can be installed from PyPM repo for ActivePython 2.6, 2.7, 3.1 (and
the upcoming 3.2) on Windows, MacOSX and Linux. It is built with Intel's MKL
and fortran compiler.

  http://code.activestate.com/pypm/numpy/

Note that we recently moved NumPy, SciPy and matplotlib to the free repo; so
you can install it free of charge.

--
Sridhar Ratnakumar
Python Developer