[Numpy-discussion] Problems with installation (wrong Python version)

Dumka Dumka dumka.dumka at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 09:22:27 EST 2011

Dear numpy Community,

I try to install numpy on my Windows 7. I take the code from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/  (I click on "Download
numpy-1.5.1-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe (5.4 MB)").

After I start the installation, the installer tells me: Python version 2.6
(Found in registry). I also see the link to the "C:\Python26" directory in the
installation window.

However, I want to use Python2.7 (I had it on my computer together with the
Python 2.6). So, I deleted the "C:\Python26" directory an set a new value to the
"Path" environment variable to make a link to the newer version of the Python
(version 2.7). I also restarted the computer.

However, it does not help. When I try to run the numpy installer again I see the
same: Python version 2.6 (Found in registry). I cannot understand where the
installer find the link to the old version. If I just continue the installation,
it fails (and it started to fail after I deleted the "C:\Python26" directory).
So, to summarize, numpy installer "thinks" that I have Python 2.6 (and I don't)
and then it fails because it is wrong.

How can I force the numpy installer to use Python 2.7? Can I?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Dumka