[Numpy-discussion] NumPy speed tests by NASA

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Wed Feb 23 12:00:04 EST 2011

Den 23.02.2011 08:32, skrev David:
> This is mostly a test of the blas/lapack used, so it is not very useful
> IMO, except maybe to show that you can deal with non trivial problems on
> top of python (surprisingly, many scientists programming a fair bit are
> still unaware of the vectorizing concept altogether),

I know that, and I am not sure if those who posted it did.

It does show that their NumPy is not worse than Matlab (albeit pure
Python is), except for the part that depends on BLAS version.

It also shows that vectorization in NumPy can perform comparable to
naïve do-loops in gfortran (performance within 50% or better). This
implies that going from NumPy to gfortran for speed might not help a lot.

Sturla