[Numpy-discussion] NumPy speed tests by NASA

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Wed Feb 23 12:34:11 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:

> Den 23.02.2011 08:32, skrev David:
> > This is mostly a test of the blas/lapack used, so it is not very useful
> > IMO, except maybe to show that you can deal with non trivial problems on
> > top of python (surprisingly, many scientists programming a fair bit are
> > still unaware of the vectorizing concept altogether),
> >

> I know that, and I am not sure if those who posted it did.
>
> It does show that their NumPy is not worse than Matlab (albeit pure
> Python is), except for the part that depends on BLAS version.

Just to point out, this person used Matlab 2008.  While I do not use Matlab
on a regular basis, I have seen marked improvements in performance in
subsequent versions.  I have also seen differences in performance for the
same version of Matlab running on the different OSs of a dual-boot machine.

Or as a CS professor says at my university: "it depends... on the machine,
the operating system, the day of the week and the color of your socks."

Ben Root