[Numpy-discussion] NumPy speed tests by NASA

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Wed Feb 23 14:29:24 EST 2011

Den 23.02.2011 18:34, skrev Benjamin Root:

> Just to point out, this person used Matlab 2008.  While I do not use
> Matlab on a regular basis, I have seen marked improvements in
> performance in subsequent versions.

They have got a JIT compiler for loops. Matlab is actually an easy
language to JIT compile because all objects are immutable, assignments
always make copies (implemented as copy-on-write), and there is never
any aliasing. The problem with this is slowdown when working with large
arrays and severe heap-fragmentation on 32-bit systems.

> I have also seen differences in performance for the same version of
> Matlab running on the different OSs of a dual-boot machine.

The Windows version used to come with Intel MKL and the Linux version
with ATLAS.

Sturla