[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 2.0 schedule

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 28 03:00:39 EST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com> wrote:
> The reason for a NumPy 1.6 suggestion, is that Mark (and others it would
> seem) have additional work and features that do not need to wait for the
> NumPy 2.0 ABI design to finalize in order to get out there.
> If someone is willing to manage the release of NumPy 1.6, then it sounds
> like a great idea to me.

This thread ended without a conclusion a month ago. Now I think master
is in a better state than a month ago for a release (py 2.4/2.5/3.x
issues and segfault on OS X fixed, more testing of changes), and I
have a better idea of my free time for March/April. Basically, I have
a good amount of time for the next couple of weeks, and not so much at
the end of March / first half of April due to an inter-continental
move. But I think we can get out a beta by mid-March, and I can manage
the release.

I've had a look at the bug tracker, here's a list of tickets for 1.6:
#1748 (blocker: regression for astype('str'))
#1619 (issue with dtypes, with patch)
#1749 (distutils, py 3.2)
#1601 (distutils, py 3.2)
#1622 (Solaris segfault, with patch)
#1713 (Solaris segfault)
#1631 (Solaris segfault)

I can look at the distutils tickets.

The other thing that needs to be done is some (more) documentation of
new features. Einsum and the new iterator seem to be well documented,
but not described in the release notes. Datetime has no docs as far as
I can see except for two similar NEPs.

Proposed schedule:
March 15: beta 1
March 28: rc 1
April 17: rc 2 (if needed)
April 24: final release

Let me know what you think. Bonus points for volunteering to fix some
of those tickets:)

Cheers,
Ralf