[Numpy-discussion] Arrays with aliased elements?

Enzo Michelangeli enzomich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 02:01:24 EST 2011

Thanks. Meanwhile, I had arrived to a solution similar to the one suggested
by Zachary:

>>> a = array([2,3])
>>> ndarray((3,a.shape[0]), strides=(0,a.itemsize), buffer = a, offset=0,
>>> dtype=a.dtype)
array([[2, 3],
       [2, 3],
       [2, 3]])

...but I'd say that numpy.broadcast_arrays is the cleanest way of obtaining
pre-broadcasted views to pass to weave.blitz(). But alas, it appears that
blitz doesn't work well with such non-contiguous views:

                tsb, pivb = broadcast_arrays(tableau[:,cand:cand+1], pivot)
                tableau = tableau - tsb * pivb

...works, but:

                tsb, pivb = broadcast_arrays(tableau[:,cand:cand+1], pivot)
                weave.blitz('tableau = tableau - tsb * pivb')

...returns wrong results. And, of course, converting them to contiguous
through the array() function defeats the intended savings in memory and CPU
cycles...

Enzo