[Numpy-discussion] Variable in an array name?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Wed Jan 12 11:05:58 EST 2011

> Thank you very much for the prompt response.  I have already done
> what you
> have suggested, but there are a few cases where I do need to have an
> array
> named with a variable (looping through large numbers of unrelated
> files and
> calculations that need to be dumped into different analyses).  It
> would be
> extraordinarily helpful if someone could post a solution to this
> problem,
> regardless of inefficiency of the method.  Thanks a ton for any
> additional
> help.

You could store arrays associated with string names, or other
identifiers, (as opposed to integer indices) in a python dict.

Global and local namespaces are also just dicts that you can grab with
globals() and locals(), if you really want to look up variable names
algorithmically, but I promise you that this is really not what you
want to be doing.

Zach