[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.5.1 - Mac - with Activestate Python 3

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 12 21:32:00 EST 2011

On 1/12/2011 12:57 PM, David Cortesi wrote:
> I have installed ActiveState's Python 3 packages on Mac OS X 10.6.6.

> When I run the Mac OS installer it shows all disks as ineligible and
> the error message, "numpy 1.5.1 can't be installed on this disk. numpy
> requires System Python 2.6 to install."

Sorry, that is is a bad error message. What I'm pretty sure it means to
say is:

"numpy requires the Python 2.6 binary from python.org "

I looked at this error message ages ago, and It's less trivial to fix
that you'd think -- but I thought it had been fixed.

> What can I do to persuade numpy to install? Must I build it from source
> to get it to use Python 3?

You *may* need the python.org binary, rather than ActiveState, but it
looks like you're trying to install a numpy binary for 2.6 -- that's not
going to work on 3.* -- look for a binary for 3.* -- I'm not sure it
exists, though.

NOTE: if you're still confused, tell us exactly what file you are trying
to install from, and where you downloaded it from.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov