[Numpy-discussion] Is python 3 supported or not?

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 13:49:17 EST 2011

I asked about getting numpy to install on OS X with Activestate Python
3. I got thoughtful & responsive replies from three of you, many
thanks to all! I am sad that the consistent message was, "forget it."

Chris said, "...look for a binary for 3.* -- I'm not sure it exists, though."

Sebastian said, "the simple answer you might be looking for is: it's
easier to stay with Python 2.x..."

Ralf said, "…unless you have a specific need/desire to use 3.1/3.2 I'd
suggest staying with 2.6 or 2.7 from
python.org for now..."

I would like to point out that the wikipedia article on numpy says,
"The release version 1.5 of NumPy is compatible with Python versions
2.4–2.7 and Python 3," citing the release note of september 2010,
which itself opens with the following lines:

> Highlights
>
> Python 3 compatibility
>
> This is the first NumPy release which is compatible with Python 3.

There is an obvious disconnect here. Is it or isn't it? This is an
important question because of the large number of packages at PyPI
that depend on numpy. Numpy is a major gateway, or bottleneck, on the
way to Python 3. I came looking for numpy because I want to work with
an audio package, and all the audio packages at PyPI seem to have
numpy dependencies. Ditto the packages for dealing with FITS data
format, etc. etc.

As to using Activestate's versus python.org's distro, *regardless* of
which I use, the package will end up located in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/*. It will not be installed in
/System/Library/etc. as the Apple distribution is; but it WILL be
located at a known location with an executable named Python under
Versions/Current.

Not that it matters, but the reason I'm using Activestate is because I
also needed their up to date version of Tcl/Tk, and python.org python3
wouldn't work with that.

As to why I'm using Python 3, it's because I'm starting a new project
with no prior dependencies and want the current and future language --
which is now TWO FRAKKIN' YEARS OLD! -- but that's a rant for another
time.

Thanks again for your attention,

Dave Cortesi