[Numpy-discussion] 64 bit Windows installers for NumPy?

Peter numpy-discussion at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 14:26:23 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Peter wrote:
>> We're currently pointing people on 64 bit Windows towards Christoph
>> Gohlke's unofficial builds. I'd be quite happy if Christoph's 64bit NumPy
>> installer was blessed as official and distributed via the NumPy website
>> (but there may be technical issues I'm unaware of).
>
> The plain builds don't work with scipy as I think you know, which IMHO
> means they should not be official.

I see (on closer inspection) that Christoph only has 64bit SciPy for
the Intel MKL version of 64bit NumPy (not the plain version), which
is presumably what you are refering to? Is this down to some problem
in SciPy or NumPy (or both)? I'm not familiar with the problem.

> The MKL ones should not be official because they're non-free.

Of course - Intel's licensing must be respected there.

> That said, if others feel that plain official builds are useful *and*
> someone steps up to create and troubleshoot them, then of
> course that's fine with me.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

:)