[Numpy-discussion] 64 bit Windows installers for NumPy?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 19:34:02 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:26 AM, Peter
<numpy-discussion at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I see (on closer inspection) that Christoph only has 64bit SciPy for
> the Intel MKL version of 64bit NumPy (not the plain version), which
> is presumably what you are refering to? Is this down to some problem
> in SciPy or NumPy (or both)? I'm not familiar with the problem.

The main issue is that there is no easy way to get a working
implementation of blas/lapack for windows 64 bits, nor a working,
freely available fortran compiler.

This is not so much a limitation of numpy/scipy, but rather one of
lack of open source tools maturity on that platform. As Intel license
requires developers to get a license of their tools, that's not an
acceptable solution for the official version of numpy/scipy.

cheers,

David