[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 2.0 schedule

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 20:18:24 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just thought it was time to start discussing a release schedule for numpy
> 2.0 so we have something to aim at. I'm thinking sometime in the period
> April-June might be appropriate. There is a lot coming with the next
> release: the Enthought's numpy refactoring, Mark's float16 and iterator
> work, and support for IronPython. How do things look to the folks involved
> in those projects?
>
> I would target June / July at this point ;-)    I know I deserve a "I told
> you so" from Chuck --- I will take it.

How much remains to get done?

> There is a bit of work that Mark is doing that would be good to include,
> also some modifications to the re-factoring that will support better small
> array performance.

Not everything needs to go into first release as long as the following
releases are backward compatible. So the ABI needs it's final form as soon
as possible. Is it still in flux?

> It may make sense for a NumPy 1.6 to come out in March / April in the
> interim.

Pulling out the changes to attain backward compatibility isn't getting any
easier. I'd rather shoot for 2.0 in June. What can the rest of us do to help
move things along?

Chuck