[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 2.0 schedule

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 23:28:37 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>wrote:
>

>> On Jan 25, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Just thought it was time to start discussing a release schedule for
>> numpy 2.0 so we have something to aim at. I'm thinking sometime in the
>> period April-June might be appropriate. There is a lot coming with the next
>> release: the Enthought's numpy refactoring, Mark's float16 and iterator
>> work, and support for IronPython. How do things look to the folks involved
>> in those projects?

My suggestion is to do a 1.6 relatively soon, as the current trunk feels
pretty stable to me, and it would be nice to release the features without
having to go through the whole merging process.

>> I would target June / July at this point ;-)    I know I deserve a "I told
>> you so" from Chuck --- I will take it.
>>

> How much remains to get done?

My changes probably make merging the refactor more challenging too.

>> There is a bit of work that Mark is doing that would be good to include,
>> also some modifications to the re-factoring that will support better small
>> array performance.
>>

> Not everything needs to go into first release as long as the following
> releases are backward compatible. So the ABI needs it's final form as soon
> as possible. Is it still in flux?

I would suggest it is - there are a number of things I think could be
improved in it, and it would be nice to bake in the underlying support
features to make lazy/deferred evaluation of array expressions possible.

>  It may make sense for a NumPy 1.6 to come out in March / April in the
>> interim.
>>

> Pulling out the changes to attain backward compatibility isn't getting any
> easier. I'd rather shoot for 2.0 in June. What can the rest of us do to help
> move things along?

I took a shot at fixing the ABI compatibility, and if PyArray_ArrFunc was
the main issue, then that might be done.  An ABI compatible 1.6 with the
datetime and half types should be doable, just some extensions might get
confused if they encounter arrays made with the new data types.

-Mark