[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 2.0 schedule

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:23:48 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>wrote:
>>

>>>  It may make sense for a NumPy 1.6 to come out in March / April in the
>>> interim.
>>>

>> Pulling out the changes to attain backward compatibility isn't getting any
>> easier. I'd rather shoot for 2.0 in June. What can the rest of us do to help
>> move things along?

Focusing on 2.0 makes sense to me too. Besides that, March/April is bad
timing for me so someone else should volunteer to be the release manager if
we go for a 1.6.

I took a shot at fixing the ABI compatibility, and if PyArray_ArrFunc was
> the main issue, then that might be done.  An ABI compatible 1.6 with the
> datetime and half types should be doable, just some extensions might get
> confused if they encounter arrays made with the new data types.
>
> Even if you fixed the ABI incompatibility (I don't know enough about the
issue to confirm that), I'm not sure how much value there is in a release
with as main new feature two dtypes that are not going to work well with
scipy/other binaries compiled against 1.5.

Cheers,
Ralf