[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 2.0 schedule

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 08:40:56 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<dagss at student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 02:05 AM, David wrote:
>> On 01/26/2011 01:42 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Just thought it was time to start discussing a release schedule for
>>> numpy 2.0 so we have something to aim at. I'm thinking sometime in the
>>> period April-June might be appropriate. There is a lot coming with the
>>> next release: the Enthought's numpy refactoring, Mark's float16 and
>>> iterator work, and support for IronPython. How do things look to the
>>> folks involved in those projects?
>>>
>> One thing which I was wondering about numpy 2.0: what's the story for
>> the C-API compared to 1.x for extensions. Is it fundamentally different
>> so that extensions will need to be rewritten ? I especially wonder about
>> scipy and cython's codegen backend,
>>

> For CPython, my understanding is that extensions that access struct
> fields directly without accessor macros need to be changed, but not much
> else. There's a "backwards-compatability" PyArray_* API for CPython.
>
> That doesn't work for .NET, but neither does anything else in C
> extensions. So in the SciPy port to .NET there's my efforts to replace
> f2py with fwrap/Cython, and many SciPy C extensions will be rewritten in
> Cython. These will use the Npy_* interface (or backwards-compatability
> PyArray_* wrappers in numpy.pxd, but these only work in Cython under
> .NET, not in C, due to typing issues (what is "object" and so on)).

Ok, good to know. A good test would be to continuously build numpy +
scipy on top of it ASAP. Do you think cython (or is it sage) could
donate some CPU resources on the cython CI server for numpy ? I could
spend some time to make that work,

cheers,

David