[Numpy-discussion] einsum

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Wed Jan 26 19:35:31 EST 2011

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:18:30AM +0100, Hanno Klemm wrote:
>> interesting idea. Given the fact that in 2-d euclidean metric, the
>> Einstein summation conventions are only a way to write out
>> conventional matrix multiplications, do you consider at some point to
>> include a non-euclidean metric in this thing? (As you have in special
>> relativity, for example)
>
> In my experience, Einstein summation conventions are quite
> incomprehensible for people who haven't studies relativity (they aren't
> used much outside some narrow fields of physics). If you start adding
> metrics, you'll make it even harder for people to follow.
>
> My 2 cents,
>
> Gaël

Just to dispel the notion that Einstein notation is only used in the
study of relativity, I can personally attest that Einstein notation is
used in the field of fluid dynamics and some aspects of meteorology.
This is really a neat idea and I support the idea of packaging it as a
separate module.

Ben Root