[Numpy-discussion] einsum

T J tjhnson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 20:18:53 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Joshua Holbrook
<josh.holbrook at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ah, sorry for misunderstanding.  That would actually be very difficult,
>> as the iterator required a fair bit of fixes and adjustments to the core.
>> The new_iterator branch should be 1.5 ABI compatible, if that helps.
>
> I see. Perhaps the fixes and adjustments can/should be included with
> numpy standard, even if the Einstein notation package is made a
> separate module.

<snip>
> Indeed, I would like to be able to install and use einsum() without
> having to install another version of numpy. Even if it depends on
> features of a new numpy, it'd be nice to have it be a separate module.

I don't really understand the desire to have this single function
exist in a separate package.  If it requires the new version of NumPy,
then you'll have to install/upgrade either way...and if it comes as
part of that new NumPy, then you are already set.  Doesn't a separate
package complicate things unnecessarily?  It make sense to me if
einsum consisted of many functions (such as Bottleneck).