[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 2.0 schedule

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 11:17:08 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> <snip>
> The PIL test can still be fixed before the final 0.9.0 release, it looks
> like we will need another RC anyway. Does anyone have time for this in the
> next few days?

I've attached a patch which fixes it for me.

>  I took a shot at fixing the ABI compatibility, and if PyArray_ArrFunc was
>>>>> the main issue, then that might be done.  An ABI compatible 1.6 with the
>>>>> datetime and half types should be doable, just some extensions might get
>>>>> confused if they encounter arrays made with the new data types.
>>>>> Even if you fixed the ABI incompatibility (I don't know enough about
>>>> the issue to confirm that), I'm not sure how much value there is in a
>>>> release with as main new feature two dtypes that are not going to work well
>>>> with scipy/other binaries compiled against 1.5.
>>> I've recently gotten the faster ufunc NEP implementation finished except
>>> for generalized ufuncs, and most things work the same or faster with
>>> it. Below are some timings of 1.5.1 vs the new_iterator branch.  In
>>> particular, the overhead on small arrays hasn't gotten worse, but the output
>>> memory layout speeds up some operations by a lot.
>>> Your new additions indeed look quite promising. I tried your new_iterator
> branch but ran into a segfault immediately on running the tests on OS X. I
> opened a ticket for it, to not mix it into this discussion about releases
> too much: http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1724.

Is that a non-Intel platform?  While I tried to get aligned access right,
it's likely there's a bug in it somewhere.

Before we decide on a 1.6 release I would suggest to do at least the
> following:
> - review of ABI fixes by someone very familiar with the problem that
> occurred in 1.4.0 (David, Pauli, Charles?)
> - test on Linux, OS X and Windows 32-bit and 64-bit. Also with an MSVC
> build on Windows, since that exposes more issues each release.

All tests pass for me now, maybe it's a good time to merge the branch into
the trunk so we can run it on the buildbot?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/attachments/20110127/3db5a136/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: scipy_piltest.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 537 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/attachments/20110127/3db5a136/attachment.bin>

More information about the NumPy-Discussion mailing list