[Numpy-discussion] Developer NumPy list versus User NumPy list

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 22:23:32 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

>> Speaking as someone who hasn't contributed code to numpy itself, I still
>> really like to follow the development discussion, so I'll subscribe to
>> both lists anyway, and filter them to the same place in my email. So it
>> makes little difference to me.
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
>> Oceanographer
>>
>> Emergency Response Division
>> NOAA/NOS/OR&R            (206) 526-6959   voice
>> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
>> Seattle, WA  98115       (206) 526-6317   main reception
>>
>> Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
>>

> Personally, I like separating the two lists and I think it has served
> matplotlib well.  In gmail, I can tag them separately and with
> different colors.  It makes it very easy to spot which emails I feel
> like handling at the moment.
>
> But, as I have been told, I am weird...
>
> Ben Root

You bring up a good point, for those people that only use numpy or
scipy then it makes sense to have separate lists.

I have no problem with the lists as they are now. I also tag them
differently so I tend to focus first on numpy then scipy-dev and
finally scipy-user.  For the most part people do post to the correct
list so usually there is no confusion. Usually scipy-user tends to be
very different from the other two but I do not see many major numpy
threads that would really be the same as scipy-user. Also I think
scipy-user has it's own vibe as well as scipy-dev being different than
numpy list.

Bruce