[Numpy-discussion] Should we make the master branch backward compatible.

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 23:58:12 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Mark Wiebe has proposed making the master branch backward compatible with
> 1.5. The argument for doing this is that 1) removing the new bits for new
> releases is a chore as the refactor schedule slips and 2) the new ABI isn't
> settled and keeping the current code in won't help with the merge. Mark
> thinks it is possible to keep the datetime types along with the new half
> types while restoring backward compatibility, and if so we won't lose
> anything by making the change. I'm in favor of this change, but I may have
> overlooked something. Thoughts?

I would be in favor too, but having not being able to code much in
numpy the last few months, my opinion should not carry too much
weight. I don't know how many people install numpy from github
nowadays (which are the first "victims" when ABI breaks)

cheers,

David