[Numpy-discussion] Developer NumPy list versus User NumPy list

James A. Bednar jbednar at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jan 28 08:29:55 EST 2011

|  Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:32:22 -0700
|  From: Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
|
|  On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
|
|  > On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 17:17, Travis Oliphant <teoliphant at gmail.com> wrote:
|  >
|  > > Hey all,
|  > >
|  > > What is the thought about having two separate NumPy lists (one
|  > > for development discussions and one for user discussions)?
|  >
|  > We've resisted it for years. I don't think the split has done
|  > scipy much good. But that may just be my perspective because I'm
|  > subscribed to both and filter them both to the same folder.
|
|  Me too. I don't think there is so much traffic that a distinction
|  needs to be made.

I'm subscribed to the numpy digest, and I have 8 digest emails from
yesterday (27 January), i.e. one single day, sitting in my inbox.
These 8 digests represent who knows how many separate emails.  If that
is not heavy traffic, I really wouldn't know what is!

As someone who uses numpy heavily (I manage a large numpy-based
software project) but is not a numpy developer, I would very much
appreciate having a separate user list.  I can't bring myself to
unsubscribe from the current list, for fear of not noticing some
important new features, related packages, or serious issues, but
sorting out those things from the rest of the posts does take
significant work.  None of my actual developers subscribe any more, as
they found the volume of posts overwhelming, so I've sacrificed myself
so that I can try to notice anything important and bring it to their
attention.  Anything that would help that would be greatly
appreciated!

Jim

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.