[Numpy-discussion] Inversion of near singular matrices.

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sat Jan 29 23:52:18 EST 2011

On Saturday 29 January 2011 22:47:23 Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > So my question is: how can one reliably detect singularity
> > (or near singularity) and raise an exception?
>
> Matrix condition number:
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.lin
> alg.cond.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condition_number
>
> Stuart

Stuart,

Thank you for the wonderful pointer to good information. When I
was writing my PhD in 1966,  there was little if anything known
about the condition mumbers. Your judiciously chosen references
put me on the track to search some information about it.
Internet is wonderful - there are some well written material
there to keep me quietly reading for a while...

Thank you,

Al. (aka OldAl)
--
Algis