[Numpy-discussion] numpy.linalg.svd documentation

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 15:40:15 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:

>  Den 30.01.2011 17:04, skrev Charles R Harris:
>

> The v.H is the old, incorrect, version of the documentation. The current
> documentation is correct.
>

> !!!
>
> Was it just the documentation that was false, or did SVD return v.H before?

Well, strictly speaking, both documentations say the same thing, but the old
version was somewhat obfuscated. Either svd returns v.H and A = dot(u*d,
v.H) or svd returns v and A = dot(u*d,v). I think the second is a clearer
statement of the return value and the resulting factorization, but I suppose
some may hold a different opinion.

Chuck