[Numpy-discussion] alterNEP - was: missing data discussion round 2

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 07:58:07 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 2:36 AM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In the interest of making the discussion as concrete as possible, here
>>> is my draft of an alternative proposal for NAs and masking, based on
>>> Nathaniel's comments.  Writing it, it seemed to me that Nathaniel is
>>> right, that the ideas become much clearer when the NA idea and the
>>> MASK idea are separate.   Please do pitch in for things I may have
>>> missed or misunderstood:
>> [...]
>>
>> Thanks for writing this up! I stuck it up as a gist so we can edit it
>> more easily:
>>  https://gist.github.com/1056379/
>> This is your initial version:
>>  https://gist.github.com/1056379/c809715f4e9765db72908c605468304ea1eb2191
>> And I made a few changes:
>>  https://gist.github.com/1056379/33ba20300e1b72156c8fb655bd1ceef03f8a6583
>> Specifically, I added a rationale section, changed np.MASKED to
>> np.IGNORE (as per comments in this thread), and added a vowel to
>> "propmsk".
>
> It might be helpful to make a small toy class in python so that people
> can play around with NA and IGNORE from the alterNEP.

Thanks for doing this.

I don't know about you, but I don't know where to work on the
discussion or draft implementation, because I am not sure where the
disagreement is.  Lluis has helpfully pointed out a specific case of
interest.   Pierre has fed back with some points of clarification.
However, other than that, I'm not sure what we should be discussing.

@Mark
@Chuck
@anyone

Do you see problems with the alterNEP proposal?  If so, what are they?
Do you agree that the alterNEP proposal is easier to understand?  If
not, can you explain why?
What do you see as the important points of difference between the NEP
and the alterNEP?

@Pierre - what do you think?

Best,

Matthew