[Numpy-discussion] An NA compromise idea -- many-NA

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 17:14:34 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mask an array with NAs? You should be able to, as IGNORE<>NA. Mask an array
> with a view? That's sharing the data with a different mask,

I was thinking about a mask on top of a mask, i.e., start with a bare array,
take a masked view of that, then a masked view of the view.

> you should be able to, too (np.ma works like that).
> Sharing mask? That'd be great if we could... That way, there'd be almost
> nothing left to do to adapt np.ma...

Could you spend a bit of time explicating the nature of hard, soft, and
shared masks? I'm guessing that a shared mask is using one mask on several
data arrays, but I'm guessing.

Chuck