[Numpy-discussion] NA/Missing Data Conference Call Summary

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 6 14:38:02 EDT 2011

Christopher Jordan-Squire wrote:
> If we follow those rules for IGNORE for all computations, we sometimes
> get some weird output. For example:
> [ [1, 2], [3, 4] ] * [ IGNORE, 7] = [ 15, 31 ]. (Where * is matrix
> multiply and not * with broadcasting.) Or should that sort of operation
> through an error?

That should throw an error -- matrix computation is heavily influenced
by the shape and size of matrices, so I think IGNORES really don't make
sense there.

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> It's exactly this transparency that worries Matthew and me -- we feel
> that the alterNEP preserves it, and the NEP attempts to erase it. In
> the NEP, there are two totally different underlying data structures,
> but this difference is blurred at the Python level. The idea is that
> you shouldn't have to think about which you have, but if you work with
> C/Fortran, then of course you do have to be constantly aware of the
> underlying implementation anyway.

I don't think this bothers me -- I think it's analogous to things in
numpy like Fortran order and non-contiguous arrays -- you can ignore all
that when working in pure python when performance isn't critical, but
you need a deeper understanding if you want to work with the data in C
or Fortran or to tune performance in python.

So as long as there is an API to query and control how things work, I
like that it's hidden from simple python code.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov